P.E.O. is a Philanthropic Educational Organization where women celebrate the advancement of women; educate women through scholarships, grants, awards, loans and the stewardship of Cottey College; and motivate each other to achieve their highest aspirations.
The P.E.O. Sisterhood was founded in 1869 on the campus of Iowa Wesleyan College, Mount Pleasant, Iowa. It has grown to become an international organization with the broad philanthropic aims of love and service for women.
P.E.O. first came to North Carolina with the formation of Chapter A, Greensboro in 1929. The State Chapter was organized March 23, 1962. We now have over 90 chapters with over 3200 members and this number grows every year.